Overseas Students

MST-WCIS is approved to deliver courses of the Australian College of Theology (CRICOS 02650E) to overseas students.


We aim to have a multicultural student body so that students live and train with people of other cultures, as they prepare for cross-cultural ministry.

Go to the ‘Apply‘ page for the overseas student application form and reference forms.

Applicants who:

(a) have an assessable qualification that was undertaken solely in English in one of a set of prescribed countries OR

(b) have experienced English in an English-speaking country for at least five (5) years are NOT required to provide proof of English language proficiency for consideration for admission to an ACT course. All other applicants MUST provide proof of English language proficiency for consideration for admission to an ACT course. Such proof will normally be by provision of the results of an IELTS test (Academic Version).

For admission to pathway 1 courses, the minimum IELTS result required is 6.0 overall with a minimum of 6.0 in each subtest. For admission in to pathway 2 courses an IELTS results of 6.5 in each subset is necessary.

IELTS testing centres can be found in many locations around the world.  Go to www.ielts.org to find a site and book a test.

Overseas Student Health Cover

Overseas students are required to purchase Overseas Student Health Cover for the length of their student visa. OSHC is only available from five government approved providers.  Find a comparison of prices at www.oshcaustralia.com.au.


Overseas students who plan to study for more than three months must obtain a student visa (subclass 500).  Overseas students must take a full time study load.

Children’s Schooling

School aged children (known as dependent students) can be enrolled in a government school or a private Australian school.

The fee to study at a Tasmanian government school is $7,500 per child per year plus school levies of $300-$750.

St Leonards Primary School (grades prep-6) is a 5 minute walk from the MST-WCIS campus.  Queechy High School (grades 7-10) and Newstead College (grades 11-12) are a 10 minute drive away. For more information on enrolling refer to the state government website.

Newstead Christian School (NCS) provides a discount to the children of MST-WCIS students.  Contact the NCS office for more information.

For other Christian school options see Launceston Christian School; Scotch Oakburn CollegeLaunceston Church Grammar School

Driving Information

In Australia vehicles are driven on the left hand side of the road. Tasmania has good roads and the distances between towns are relatively short compared to other places in Australia.  Through mountainous areas, roads may be steep and windy and subject to frost or snow in winter.

Driver’s Licence

If you are going to drive in Australia, no matter whether you are an experienced driver and have an international drivers’ licence or not, YOU MUST KNOW THE ROAD RULES before you attempt to drive.

In most States/Territories of Australia if you hold a current driver licence from another country, you are allowed to drive on your overseas licence as long as:

Most overseas visitors are not required to obtain an Australian licence if you comply with these conditions and can continue to prove your genuine visitor status to State Police if required.

Note: If you are a licence holder from New Zealand, you must obtain an Australian driver licence within three months of residing in Australia or you must stop driving.

When driving in Tasmania you must carry your overseas driver licence. Your licence must be written in English or, if the licence is not in English, you must either carry an English translation or an International Driving Permit.

Vehicle Registration

Any motor vehicle you own must be registered before you drive it on the road.  You must register it in your name and provide the State car registration board with your driver’s licence details and your residential address in Australia.

Vehicle Insurance

It is recommended that you have car insurance if you own a car, this will protect you if you have an accident that is your fault as it will help pay for any damage you may have caused to your car or another car.

Child Restraints

All children under seven years of age must wear an approved child restraint that is properly fastened and adjusted when travelling in a car. The type of restraint will depend on the age of the child as follows:

There are also laws about where children can sit in vehicles.

Children aged four years to less than the age of seven must be restrained in either an approved forward facing child restraint with an inbuilt harness or an approved booster seat restrained by a correctly adjusted and fastened seatbelt.